Wednesday, April 25, 2007

What I Am Not Is ….


So self assured that I can listen to all you say
So insecure that I have nothing to say
So brilliant that I have all the answers
So dumb that not a single query tortures
So independent that I need no help
So dependent that I need to be guided every step
So wise that I accept everything with equanimity
So sensitive that every little thing affects me immensely
So insensitive that I recognize only me and my needs
So insensible that I fail to value what others feel
So incurious that I never wonder why
So interested that I constantly pry
So likeable that I bring everyone a smile
So revolting that to avoid me you would run a mile
So shy that I am no company
So outgoing that I am the focal point of any party
So lovely that you would never forget me
So ugly that you’d wish that your memory could expunge me
So loyal that I would always come through, no matter what
So false that I wouldn’t care if through Hell you pass
So merciful that I would forgive and forget every offence
So ruthless that nothing would move me, no tear, no penance
So ambitious that I want to break through the sky
So complacent that I would never try

So it goes on…the litany of what I am not
So what am I, well that’s a bit too hard to sort.



- Written on 24th April 2007

- Why? I have no clue. Maybe because I was thinking of new ways to teach antonyms and synonyms and could not get beyond the traditional ;)

6 comments:

Easwar Subramanian said...

What you are:

So talented that I reread this piece of work in awe .and ..reread again in awe...

Anonymous said...

This is a great one Anusha...I loved it....the litany of contradictions make you wonder whats exactly coming at the end - and the end is just brilliant! Irascible and yet laugh provoking! I think the effect of the poem will be enhanced if you take away the first line altogether, let it start with - "So self assured..." With my dyslexic reading skills ;) i did read it like that and hence was really curious till the end....made the end much more effective rather than the other....I feel that any good piece of writing is one that has an element of surprise..or maybe its just my surprise loving Arian self :D
I'm sorry i havent commented on your previous posts, but this one had me shooting off a reply without wasting a second.....
Keep writing Anusha, it doesnt matter that all of it is not brilliant stuff ....its very very imp to keep up the habit....gawd only knows when i'm going to cultivate it!!

Take care and see you soon..
G

Anusha Ramanathan said...

thanks Gauri for the input. will do as u say. it does sound better.
thanks.
as for brilliance well i know I ain't brill but what the heck only my friends read this nd they know me and they do not judge ;)

Anusha Ramanathan said...

But the title remains. I can't think of another one. ;)

Anonymous said...

That was just too good..... absolutely no words... just loved it... :)

Anusha Ramanathan said...

anonymous - thanks so much. Wud have loved a name to appreciate u properly. But thanks. ;)