Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Blame this on TV – Another Diatribe


Another program on TV
I know, I am addicted hopelessly.
This one was a political interview
Of how laws need implementation, not mere purview.
An example was given that made me laugh
I will share with you that you too may scoff.
The law says ‘Do not treat SC/ST differently
Do not for example, serve them in a separate cup tea.’
If you do thus you can be punished
Up to 5 years to jail you can be banished.

My brother stared hard when I cackled,
So I explained to him the law fickle.
Do not treat differently an SC/ST,
But provide for them a separate seat.
They are not different from rest of humanity,
But they cannot compete equally.
They have faced too much cruelty
To just in 60 years overcome their disability.
They are not less than us on any front.
They just need more time to learn.

Has the lawmaker ever thought that there are inequals among equals,
That not every (formerly) underprivileged can achieve laurels,
That more issues need to be addressed,
Than seats and cups redressed?
Be they privileged or underprivileged, everyone deserves a fair turn.
You can’t preach equality if any segment you shun.
A top-down approach is detrimental to the nation
If a bottom-up approach is not effected for every section.
Perhaps I am another Mary Antoinette.
But in this age of equality I too claim respect.

- Written on 25th April 2007

Well a politician’s interview on Jaya TV led to this diatribe.

Don’t get me wrong. I understand the need for reservation for the underprivileged. It is just that notions of privilege are so vaguely defined that I can no longer agree with the existing law about who is underprivileged and who is not.

Just as I took stance against the symbolic 30% reservation of seats for women I am against the current position of the Government in symbolically reserving seats in tertiary education for yet another segment of the underprivileged. If they could not tackle the problem of SC/ST in almost 60 years of Independent India and the years before while fighting for Swaraj how long is it going to take them to tackle the OBC problem they have now identified? This is too deeply rooted a problem to disappear with reserving a few (or many) seats. It needs a ground level approach to be implemented. It needs a cleansing of the culture and traditions that so many of the politicians so desperately cling to.

I think the Government wants to ensure that there are problems in the country that it will need to govern thus ensuring the politicians’ occupation for years to come.

Question: What is one of the easiest problems to rectify according to the Indian Governance system?
Answer: Problems that they have themselves masterminded.

Question: Who can solve these problems?
Answer: Why you have to vote them in and then they will take through the maze they constructed and if they haven’t forgotten (politicians in India being by and large senior citizens) they will try and lead to light.
Or you can break through if you are so inclined. (But please note that I think the politicians better than us know about our ghulami mentality)

No comments: