Saturday, April 28, 2007

A Conversation Recorded




Oh no! Not again! Oh! Here it goes. Well Ok. Anusha, stay calm, it was your fault. Get the lecture over with. Do not, absolutely do not back answer. No. NO!! Do not back answer. Do not make faces even. No excuses. They will not be considered. You know the drill. Do not murmur to yourself. Yes, you did not mean to do anything wrong but it was your fault nevertheless. Be a man. That is not being chauvinistic for God’s sake. That is just an expression. Listen girl, I am the only friend you have right now. Don’t you start cross questioning me too. Just listen to the lecture girl. Don’t let your attention wander like this. People shouting at you like to know you are listening to their efforts. They don’t like shouting at unappreciative brick walls you know.

Oh well! I tried. God! Why is there so much population in the world? If there were fewer people I would not be like I am now, getting so many scoldings from my Mom just because I am forgetful.

What?! What are you yakking about, you crazy girl? You should be paying attention to your Mom. She means well you know. And she is NOT doing this for her pleasure. Landsakes woman! What do you mean by there being less population and you being more responsible?

Oh shut up! I have my Mom thank you. One conscience is enough. For anyone. Even me.
Oh God! Why? Such long queues would not have been there.

Obviously! Gone. A nutcase. Someone certify her. Please!

Why don’t you understand? That is precisely my point . If there had been less people standing in line to receive God’s blessings then I might have waited around for HIM or HER to get to me. God knows, I have no patience. At least then the first blessing I received could have been that then. Then I would have waited around for the other blessings. But No! Of course not. That would have been too easy. For me. Not God. So I was blessed with that introductory offer package. A modicum of conscience, a smattering of brains, a pinch of responsibility, a teaspoon of honesty, a dash of optimism, a drop of pragmatism, a splash of ambition, an atom of …….

Enough already! What are you jabbering on about woman? Your Mom has finished her lecture. Your response is expected.

Huh? Oh! Oh. Well you understand why I am so lacking don’t you? It is not my fault. Absolutely not.

Yeah! Yeah!

“I am sorry Ma.”

Yeah. Yeah. You don’t really believe all this do you?

Why not?

Why not?! Why not? When will you grow up girl?

Enough already! “Yes Ma. Will do it. YES!”




- Written on 28 April 2007

- Well, Deba. Not always poems I said. This is one prosaic piece that fortunately wrote itself on the comp so I was not too lazy to upload it. That is another blessing that God denied me by not granting me patience to wait for the “hardworking” blessing. Bloody hard work to get these blessings I tell you. ;)

2 comments:

Easwar Subramanian said...

Interesting work. As voices in your head start multiplying it becomes difficult to articulate...very interesting..confusing at first..but I got the hang of it..I hope I did!!

Well the lectures are bound to come..Your are a good girl after all..listen to your ma :)

Anusha Ramanathan said...

If I was such good girl Easwar how come I get so many lectures i nthe first place????
And no Nilu, It is not marriage I am agreeing to!!!!!!!!! Where do u get that from???