Monday, September 13, 2021

Happy Teachers' Day - 2021

Happy Teachers' Day!

The following is part a tribute and part a diatribe, so feel free to skip.

My teachers have so influenced me
Encouraged me to be the best of me.
I do not always succeed, but I try,
For that was all they asked: that I strive.

To allow for change,
To failure acknowledge,
To wholeheartedly appreciate
Others' best and emulate.

At home, my first, my mother,
In school and college so many others,
But also in books, in films, on travels,
They come in all shapes and sizes, these marvels.

Not merely a sage on stage, the teacher.
A friend, a guide, a mentor, a healer.
With actions, with caring, always inspiring,
Imbuing learning, never stopping.

Some of my teachers are retired now,
But their legacy continues and how.

A class I took yesterday on grammar,
I remembered my UKG teacher.
Mrs D'Souza with her long nails
Coaxing me to speak correctly admist my wails.

So many more such memories of learning,
I am blessed. I know, but what of those currently suffering.

Schools shut down for a year and more.
Technology distant, more than before.
If today's young are to shape our tomorrows,
How will they be enabled. We are doling out only sorrows.

Rules changing. Fears overriding.
To be or not to be in schools parents deciding.
As if learning is an option, the primary neglected.
The vaccines developed: The older protected.

Yes, health is important, but have we tried,
To help teachers through their strife?
Reduced wages, job losses, technology woes.
Coping with so many obstacles, our heroes.

Hiring paused when we never needed them more.
To plug the gaps, relying on private players and NGOs.
Pass percentages and exams the focus still
Assessment not learning continues to be the drill.

Oh! the future, so bright and beautiful.
Without learning, is this possible?
Teachers are trying, but are we?
Could we focus on education for humanity?

~ Anusha Ramanathan

Happy Teachers' Day.
Actions speak louder than words.

- Written on 5 September 2021 and posted on Facebook. Shared initial part on WhatsApp, etc with Tecahers.
- Self-explanatory.


No comments: