Monday, October 05, 2015

Happy 25th Wedding Anniversary

I have met you more through 
Family folklore, stories galore,
Most beautiful, most talented
Adored, gracious, cherished.

Even at age 10, could cook, make rangoli, 
Better, way better, than her, said your youngest Chithi.
Could sing, if you wished, professionally, 
Said Venkitachalam Athimber almost despairingly.
Would be obedient and affectionate and study so well,
Said all in the family with pride swell.

I brushed them aside as tall tales,
As creative as you were to be claimed. :)

And then came the twist in the tale,
And even earlier praise for you seemed to pale.
I came to admire you, yearn to interact, 
It all began with a letter, in fact.

I had heard hushed whispers and seen Appa cry,
But I did not know why. 
Then I saw your letter grand,
Coming home from school, I collected the letter blue, THE INLAND.

You had written of appreciating their love, of understanding their angst,
But your decision you would not even second glance. 
Your immediate family had mostly accepted, 
That was all you wanted and had expected. 
Time would tell that you had found a partner able,
That love would guide better than religion's cable

I heard then the story of your love marriage,
I admired you then as a heroine brave. 
I prayed that you prove the naysayers wrong and yourselves right,
And you did! Much to my delight. :)

I heard more folklore as years went by, 
Of your maturity, of in-laws understanding and of a partner, your superlative stand-by. 
What a transformation from the reviled to revelled, 
What determination, what passion, what greatness to forgive and forget.

You - yes, wonderful, so true. 
But Jijaji is equally to be commended too, 
Stood by you, grew with you,
Adapted, changed, as did you.

A relationship cannot be all give, no take,
A strong one requires both to reciprocate,
And you both have done so ably, so brilliantly,
An example of true love set so seemingly easily.

25 years strong a bond, 
May it last for many more years long,
May your happiness, your togetherness, grow leaps and bounds,
May each year bring you even more joy unfound.

-

Happy 25th Wedding Anniversary K and Jijaji!

Unwittingly perhaps, but you became a heroine in my eyes when I was in 6th Std, and Jijaji, by default, the hero :)

Your letter was a revelation of how to be graceful when standing firm, how to politely convey a refusal, how to be sensitive and sensible. I have not learned these lessons yet, but hope to some day.

You met your match and I am so glad this is a Happily Ever After story :)

May you both ever together stay happy.

I am so sorry to have missed the celebrations, but I hope there will be many more such occasions when I can participate in the jubilations.

- Written on 05 Oct 2015
- Self-Explanatory. 

No comments: