Wednesday, May 09, 2007

A Pail’s Reminiscence


Soapy water runs down your hand
Suds sparkle on the grills and glass.
The sun showers its warm rays in greeting
The cool breeze makes it refreshing.
You are humming some song,
Making up as you go along.
As your brother brings you water
He groans, ‘It’s too early for this torture.’
You turn. You are smiling.
Then soapy suds at him are flying.
They don’t reach him but he yells.
He shakes the stool and you are at ground level.
You catch him for balance
You have marked him. Perfect revenge.
As windows and grills are getting cleaned
A splash fight begins with glee.
Your mom warns you to stop horsing
As you splash her lightly she is quietly laughing.
Drops of water have captured the sunbeams
The rainbow dances set alight the balcony.
You turn back to your job. You are singing.
I think ‘What a beautiful morning…’



- Hastily scribbled today morning (9th May 2007) over a cuppa.
- Yes, I do windows. ;0 In fact this was written the fact after.
- And Nilu, this is one of the many chores my mom was screaming at me for, not you thought whatnot ;)
- And for reference purposes my brother politest expression when I sing is disdain. I suck I admit. The poor pail. No wonder it was always full ;))

4 comments:

Easwar Subramanian said...

Poor window grills..all they needed was a quick bath.
Now they have to bear:
1. Humming?
2. Soap fights
3. Stool Fights

Good job with the poem..likes this piece..sweet!

Anusha Ramanathan said...

Oh now you are pitying the grills and windows as well!!!!!!!!!!!!

u mite as well add to teh lsit of pitiables mops, squirts, the balcony......... infact anywhere where I am and what I use. I do pity them. As i shud or so my mom constantly states. Only the way she writes it, she heads the list by a mile.
;))))))))
I will sing to you yet Easwar. Beware.

Anonymous said...

Like any other guy in this world, I rummage thru my thick skull for 'sweet' opening lines to make a good impression. But no matter who the inspiration is, all I end up by making is an ass of me.
And here we have Madam A who can come up with not 1 but 22 sweet lines about a chore!
I know how strongly u feel abt reservation but with inequality such as this...it's a necessary evil ;)

Anusha Ramanathan said...

And you say you come a cropper when u wanna think of sweet opening lines?!!!!!!

Now why is it that I don't believe you, you lollipop?

Hey, I did state my pro reservation sentiments in my prosaic piece 'Why Reservation...'! But the reservation should favour me not you! You are a winner all time, any time ;)

When do we get to read your next article, spendthrift busyguy ?