Sunday, May 13, 2007

One last time…


Oh! Just one last time will you not accompany me?
Oh! Just one more time will you not journey?
So many times you were my sanctuary,
The one who stored so many of my treats.
You were with me on all my trips,
You helped me through the hardest bits.
You held my hand as I looked around,
Searching for a comforting sight or sound.
Your open arms so often sheltered me
As I wept away my unreasonable misery.
Books or kerchiefs or pens and pencils or some trick,
Anything I wanted, you produced like magic.
In airports, in stations, in buses, on roads
Or in others’ homes, you were never a load.
I came to you only when in need,
But you never ever grudged at me
I never knew
How much I relied on you.
Till now, when I know,
You will not be with me on the road
I feel so disheartened, so lonesome,
Without my home away from home.
This time when I foray again
I will not have my trustworthy suitcase.

- Written on 13th May 2007
- Self-explanatory. My suitcase that has been with me for the past 16 years serving first me and my brother and then only me has breathed its last breath of service and even as I struggle to bid it a decent adieu I have to search for a replacement and that is so hard in this age where you get anything and everything but what you are used to.

1 comment:

Easwar Subramanian said...

A toast to your suitcase!!
Which served you well and breathed its last in this never ending race!

But cheer for your this bag has been on sojourns aplenty,
It must leave - only content and happy -to the abode heavenly!