Saturday, December 31, 2022

Circa 1997 and 2022

Circa 2022:
Today I dreamt again of some conversations long past
But the impact they have had on me will life long last.

Circa 1997: 
I came back home after a walk
Friends of mine had gone to Carter Road for a repast.
Amma asked if I'd noticed how my friend protected me
Walking on the road side with a hand at the back guiding me
I was careless as I talked
Would not notice vehicles or people who would my path block
He gently nudged me hither-thither
I noticed not till Amma made me ponder.

Then every walk was a treasure
Of finding moments of care that let me not blunder
I learnt to appreciate better the friendship so generously offered
Irreverent as he was, to us friends his alert care he always proffered.

I learnt from him to notice and act
For other friends to be on the roadside track
I learnt that gifts of these moments are treasures rare
For caring is a gift, if just one could dare.
Less self-centred, more selfless
Eases burdens, adds to life's preciousness.

But it was Amma who helped me notice
The many acts of love that I took for granted as due service
The noticing made me strive to improve 
To be worthy of being a friend when I did nothing much you could approve.

My friends taught me what was being loving and giving
By constantly helping me, in return nothing asking
Even my company had so many restrictions
They accepted them all as a part of me, not afflictions.

Circa 2022
Blessed am I for friends like these,
And for a mother who got me to these see.

- Written on 20 November 2022. 
- A close friend from college who knows who he is. A journey of 25 years and going strong. 

No comments: