Friday, July 26, 2024

Voting - Ordinary?

Tomorrow is election
In my district we need make our selection
As I check our papers to vote
I can't help but note
How this privilege was bestowed on me
That I could have this duty.

I visited Alipore Jail Musuem this January 2024
I came away shook, I did blink away tears galore
There is a display of letters there
That showcase patriotism, love, youth, deep thoughts and care
A display of ordinary people capturing ordinary moments
Yet they were in jail for a cause, suffering beyond our imagination
The audio of a British soldier whipping a prison inmate
The casualness of a barber shaving just a bit away
But more those figurines in the prison
The letters gallery haunts me now even.

The letters in Bengali or Hindi, translated into English
Can't wholly convey the pride nor the anguish
Of the writer nor the reader
But they touch 😭, they torch, they inspire, they are a reminder

Ordinary people, ordinary moments, doing one's duty
A kind word, a kind deed
Will live on in someone's memory
Sparking more revolutions for freedom and peace.

- Written on 19 May 2024. 
- Self-Explanatory

See IG post related to this from me. :) 

No comments: